Blog 5


I was inspired by this class to further investigate both of my parents’ immigration stories. Although growing up I was told short stories here and there, I never really sat down with my parents and heard exactly what they recall from their pasts. I learned about big and little events that I had never even knew occurred. I feel almost as though I was missing a huge part of who my parents were by not knowing these things about them. I always in a way saw their stories as fairytale or fictional and never actually put them in those situations. I almost wish I had done this sooner because I have a whole new perspective and deeper respect for my parents now that I know the true obstacles they have overcome.
I can still remember the first time I really realized that my parents were immigrants. She was the principle of my elementary school and I would always wait in the front section of her office after school until she was finished with work for the day. Once, I remember walking in and hearing a parent yelling at my mom for some reason I never discovered. The conversation ended with the man shouting at my mom, “Go back to the Amazon!” As a third grader that made no sense to me. Why would my mom go to the Amazon? Wasn’t my mom from Rio de Janero, a huge city? After he stormed out, I asked all of these questions to my mom, who seemed not to be bothered in any way. She simply laughed and said “I wish I could go to the there, so I could be far away from dumb people like that who think Brazil is only the Amazon.” She was not bothered in any way and I could remember her joking about it with her coworkers. My mom knew herself and knew her journey so no one could destroy her strength and confidence.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog 15

Blog 11

Blog 14